Thursday, August 12, 2010

Alejandro Escovedo - Roots Rock with Heart

Alejandro Escovedo is a legend to those in the know. Texas-born but later transplanted to California, Escovedo's music is high-energy with influences ranging from American rock to Latin jazz. His set at the 2010 Edmonton Folk Music Festival sounded pretty rocking to me, and included song about life, love, and even a few covers like "Beast of Burden." His band, the Sensitive Boys, were extremely tight, and guitar-heavy. At the same time, Escovedo's Mexican roots came through in his music many times, as his voice resonated with passion. I was not that familiar with Escovedo's music before the EFMF but he was definitely my "discovery" of the weekend and I am going to make an effort to look him up and get to know his music better. To check out my full photo set from his performance, click here. ~ Paula E. Kirman

No comments: